First assassination attempt in years: Egyptian Interior Minister survives

Bomb comes amid violent crackdown

CAIRO - Egyptian Interior Minister Mohammed Ibrahim survived an assassination attempt when a car bomb Thursday ripped through his convoy in a Cairo street, security officials said.
The explosion, the first such attack in Cairo in years, took place at around 10:30 am (0830 GMT) near Ibrahim's home in the Nasr City area, they said, adding the vehicle was parked in the street.
"The minister survived the assassination attempt," one security official said.
State news agency MENA quoting an interior ministry source reported that an unknown number of civilians were wounded and some shops damaged in the blast.
The bombing comes amid a violent crackdown since last month on supporters of ousted Islamist president Mohamed Morsi by interior ministry police.
Hundreds of people were killed in Cairo's Rabaa al-Adawiya and Nahda squares on August 14 when police stormed protest camps set up by Morsi's supporters.
Morsi was ousted by the military on July 3 following popular street protests against his one year rule.