Two Moroccan peacekeepers killed in C. Africa convoy attack
LONDON - Two Moroccan peacekeepers died after gunmen attacked their convoy in the Central African Republic's remote southeast, the UN mission said Wednesday.
The attack Tuesday took place about 60 kilometres (35 miles) from the town of Obo, MINUSCA said, adding: "Two peacekeepers died and two others were injured...the attackers fled into the Bush."
"No claim can justify individuals directing their grievances against peacekeepers whose presence on CAR soil is only aimed at helping the country emerge from the cycle of violence," MINUSCA head Parfait Onanga-Anyanga said in the statement.
Central African Republic descended into chaos in 2013 when mainly Muslim Seleka rebels seized power in the majority Christian nation, ousting then-President Francois Bozize and sparking a backlash from Christian militias.
There are 13,000 peacekeepers on the ground, but some civilians complain that it does not do enough to protect them against dozens of armed groups.
Last month, UN sanctions monitors said that violence was spreading despite successful polls that elected a new government last February. Human Rights Watch said a new armed group had killed at least 50 civilians in a growing campaign to control parts of the northwest.