Suicide bombings target ex-base of Libya government in Tobruk

No safe refuge in presence of Islamist militias

BENGHAZI - Twin suicide bombings Wednesday hit the remote town where Libya's internationally recognised government took refuge earlier this year, among a series of attacks in the restive east, security sources said.
At least 20 people were wounded, four of them seriously, when the bombers blew up vehicles in the heart of Tobruk, an interior ministry official said.
The town, close to the Egyptian border and 1,600 kilometres (1,000 miles) east of Tripoli, is still the base of the contested parliament elected in June but the government recently moved its headquarters to the nearby town of Shahat.
Both government and parliament took refuge in the remote east when Islamist-backed militias seized the capital in August.
The official said the bombs did not strike near the hotel which houses parliament. But a lawmaker said security measures had been stepped up for fear of further attacks.
The parliament was annulled by the Supreme Court last week but its anti-Islamist majority has refused to accept the judgment, saying it was handed down under duress.
Three years after dictator Moamer Gathafi was toppled and killed in a NATO-backed revolt, Libya is awash with weapons and powerful militias, and run by rival governments and parliaments.
Another car bomb, also believed to be a suicide attack, on Wednesday struck near the Al-Abraq air base, also in eastern Libya.
Five soldiers were wounded in the attack, a security official said, but a medic reported two dead.