Sudan overturns order to stop presses at daily newspaper

A step forward for Sudanese press freedom?

KHARTOUM - A Sudanese court overturned an order by state security agents which has stopped the presses at a prominent daily newspaper for almost two years, the editor said on Thursday.
Osman Mirghani, chief editor of Al-Tayar, hailed the decision issued Wednesday by the Constitutional Court as a victory for Sudanese press freedom.
However, the ruling came on the same day that a journalists' rights group said the National Intelligence and Security Service seized the press runs of three other newspapers.
"They decided that the ban on our newspaper is illegal and they cancelled the security decision, giving us permission to resume publishing," Mirghani said.
"We will start publishing again soon."
The security service ordered Al-Tayar shut indefinitely on June 11, 2012.
"I think this decision is a victory for media freedom, and judicial freedom. It's the first time the Constitutional Court cancelled a security service decision about a newspaper," Mirghani said.
The Journalists for Human Rights organisation on Wednesday said three newspapers including the English-language The Citizen had been seized, after the confiscation of three other titles earlier in the week.
President Omar al-Bashir in January appealed for a political and economic "renaissance" in the country ravaged by armed insurrection, poverty and political turmoil.
"The freedom of people has to be respected," Bashir said.
Sudan ranks near the bottom of international indexes of corruption, human development and press freedom.